English 200 Syllabus
I'll be making changes in this syllabus as the semester progresses to reflect more appropriate
times to have read the material. When discussion runs long on any one work (as it has for
"Bartleby, the Scrivener," the remainder of the works tend to get pushed back. Check this
space often for a complete run-down on class reading assignments. (Changes will also be
posted on SOPHLIT.)
Last updated Aug. 31, 1995
Week 1: Aug. 21-25
Week 2: Aug. 28-Sept. 1
- M: "Bartleby" continued
- W: Porter, "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall"
- F: Gilman, "The Yellow Wallpaper"
Week 3: Sept. 4-8
- M: LABOR DAY HOLIDAY (no class)
- W: Plath, "Cut"
- F: Haas, "Heroic Simile," "Meditation at Lagunitas"
Week 4: Sept. 11-15
- M: Eliot,
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
- W: Robinson, "Richard Cory," "Miniver Cheevy"
- F: Clifton, "The Lost Baby Poem"; Olds, "Sex Without Love"
Week 5: Sept. 18-22
- M: Shakespeare,
- W: Hamlet continued
- F: Hamlet continued
Week 6: Sept. 25-29
- M: Carver, "Why Don't
You Dance?"; Hemingway, "Hills Like
- W: O'Connor, "A Good Man Is Hard to Find"
- F: Wharton, "Roman Fever"
Week 7: Oct. 2-6
- M: MIDTERM EXAM (in class)
- W: Take-home essay due in class; READ Welty, "Livvie"
- F: Wright, "Big Black Good Man"
Week 8: Oct. 9-13
- M: TBA
- W: Roethke, "My Papa's Waltz"
- F: Plath, "Daddy"
Week 9: Oct. 16-20
- M: Miller, Death of a Salesman
- W: Death of a Salesman continued
- F: Death of a Salesman continued
Week 10: Oct. 23-27
- M: Faulkner, "Barn Burning"
- W: Munro, "Circle of Prayer"
- F: Bambara, "The Lesson"
Week 11: Oct. 30-Nov. 3
- M: Márquez, "A Very Old Man with Enormous
- W: Henley, Crimes of the Heart
- F: Crimes of the Heart continued
Week 12: Nov. 6-10
- M: Crimes of the Heart continued
- W: Frost, ALL POEMS
- F: Yeats, ALL POEMS
Week 13: Nov. 13-17
- M: Keats, ALL POEMS
- W: Stevens, ALL POEMS
- F: Olds, ALL POEMS
Week 14: Nov. 20-25
- M: TBA
- W-F: Thanksgiving Holidays (no class)
Week 15: Nov. 27-Dec. 1
- M: TBA
- W: Dickey, Deliverance
- F: Deliverance continued
Week 16: Dec. 4-8
- M: Deliverance continued
- W: TBA
- F: TBA
Other Literary Resources